It was founded in 1820 in the Beyoğlu district of Istanbul. It was opened in Istanbul Galata to serve Genoa sailors. Initially, a small dispensary served by a physician and several nuns, the institution's first name was Sardinia Hospital. In 1861, it was renamed the Royal Italian Hospital. It was rebuilt in 1876 under King Vittorio Emanuele II and moved into its present-day building.
The Italian Hospital (İtalyan Hastanesi) was taken over in 1998 by the American Hospital, which is affiliated with the Vehbi Koç Foundation (VKV) in 1998. It officially began serving in 2005 but was closed in 2006 due to damage.
The 50-bed hospital, installed on 8250 m2, was closed again in 2013, although Universal Hospitals Group operated it.
In the facilities of the Italian Hospital, Vibroser preferred its products and services in ensuring structural hygienic conditions.